Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wasabi Mashed Potatoes


The picture does not do it justice. These potatoes are short on looks but exceedingly flavorful. If you like mashed potatoes, you'll love these. I got my inspiration from a local restaurant we went to for our son's 33rd birthday. The place is an old stone house dating back to the 1920's, I believe. The menu was full of innovative and unique ways to serve seafood, which I love. This was one of those places where it was very difficult to decide on an entree because everything sounded so good. I chose the seared ahi tuna with a side of wasabi mashed potatoes and a spicy seaweed noodle salad. Pretty yummy! Thanks, Jeremy, for suggesting this place. We will return!

A few days later I decided to whip up my own using red new potatoes, but other varieties can be used.
5-6 new potatoes, cut up with skins on
1 T onion, diced
1/4 c half&half
3 T butter
1 T wasabi powder

Place the potatoes and onions in a 2 qt saucepan. Cover with water and cook until done. Drain water and add the rest of ingredients. Beat with mixer until you get the consistency you want. Serves 3-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment