Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chocolate Apricot Bread Pudding


I love a good bread pudding. It's a comfort food that ranks right up there with macaroni and cheese or rice pudding! I usually make this in the fall when the apples are in abundance adding raisins to the mix. But, I was lucky enough to snag some apricots from my brother's tree. Thanks, Dave and Diana for the nice meal and plenty of apricots. We started eating them but, of course, could not devour them fast enough. I wanted to creat an apricot chicken but somehow this desert sounded better! Especially, when topped with double churned vanilla ice cream!

I precooked the apricots, cutting them in half and just squeezing the pit out. I placed them in a saucepan with a small amount of water and 1 T of sugar and cooked them to a mushy syrup. Then I refrigerated them for a few days while I waited for inspiration! Add chocolate! So I did!

3 c cubed bread
1 1/4 c milk
1/2 c maple syrup
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c eggbeater or egg whites (keeping it healthy)
2 c pre-cooked apricots
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
In a large bowl add all the liquid ingredients first and then the bread, apricots and chocolate chips. Mix and bake in a 11x7 pan at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Can be served warm with the chocolate gooey but I like it cold with the chips crunchy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment