Wednesday, April 15, 2015

In the Soup Kitchen and a Flourless Chocolate Cake






As some of you know, my life was hijacked recently.  While I still do a lot of cooking and not much writing, I found myself "volunteering" at my son's new deli/ice creamery.  I guess I should be careful what I wish for!  I always thought it would be fun and cool to work in an ice cream shop.  Enter my son, who now has his own store front by way of acquiring a full fledged sandwich/deli shop.  My volunteering consists of helping out (and I use that term loosely) with the day to day operations.  I make cookies, do dishes, make soup from scratch, do more dishes, help with customers at the counter, do many more dishes!  Yes, at this ripe old age I'm exhausted, but on the up side, I've met some extremely wonderful people.  Better yet, even though we may bump heads, at times, I'm getting to engage in meaningful conversations with my son and share stories of our memories together.  He's slowly finding out that a simple hug from him is all it takes to melt my heart!

I'm extremely proud of him for taking this double business on.  Setting up business is not an easy task, especially when it encompasses Government involvement (inefficiency).   At the end of the day, it can be very rewarding, especially when my son can look in the mirror every morning and say hello to the BOSS!  That's the best part by far!

If you're reading this and you are local, come to try out his delicious sandwiches (the bread rocks) and amazing unique ice cream flavors.  I am self designated "quality control" person for product tasting!  Not great for the waistline, but good for the soul.  Ice cream makes everyone happy, I've had the pleasure to notice.   The other day I had to laugh as I scooped some vanilla into a sugar cone for a little girl.   She could barely see into the display case and as I scooped, she started to sing!   Her dad said she always sings for ice cream...it works for me!

After such a long absence from this blog (almost a month) it's not as if I haven't been cooking or baking.  I managed to make a flour less chocolate cake for my mom's birthday.   It was divine!   As you can tell by the not so appetizing photo above, it was a success, especially topped off with Icecycle Creamery ice cream!   The only change will be to reduce the size of the round pan as it turned out a bit on the flat side!   A flour less chocolate cake is so very decadent.  A small slice will send you to heaven, I promise!

Flourless Chocolate Cake 

4 ounces of good quality bittersweet chocolate

1 stick or 1/2 cup butter (preferably unsalted)

3/4 cup sugar

3 large eggs

1/2 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened) and additional for garnish.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Butter an 8 inch round cake pan (no larger or the cake will be flat like mine!)  Line the bottom with parchment or waxed paper, then butter that, too.  

Break chocolate into small pieces.  Place chocolate and butter into double boiler over simmering water and stir until melted.  Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, whisking as you go.  Add the eggs and keep whisking until smooth.  Sprinkle the cocoa powder on top and mix in.  Pour the mixture into the pan and bake until the cake forms a thin crust, for about 25 minutes.  Cool the cake for 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.  Enjoy.
This was on my "bucket list" also.  
I will make it again using a smaller cake pan....definitely squelches your chocolate craving!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy, where is this lovely ice cream shop? I love ice cream ... even in winter ><
    And the recipe sounds delish too :)
    You can find me on here, Im "Kraggy" nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete