Sunday, August 1, 2010

Un-classic Mint Julep

Treat your husband like a king and he will treat you like his queen! This works in our case. After a long week "at the salt mines" I met him at the door with this concoction. Originally I got the idea from my grandmother who claimed she never drank. After much coaxing my dad mixed up a mint julep, bourbon and all! If I remember correctly we told her it was kind of like iced tea. A smile came to her plump face as she sipped the mint julep! "Oh my, this has a stick in it!" We couldn't fool grandma but she did finish her "iced tea" and rather enjoyed it.


I'm not too fond of bourbon so I "played around" with the recipe and decided on Amaretto. I only made one to share not knowing what the outcome would be. Definitely should have made a batch! Salute!


2 tsp sugar or agave syrup
juice of 1/2 lemon
5 mint sprigs
1 1/2 c crushed ice
1 shot of amaretto
enough ginger ale to fill glass



Put sugar, juice and mint in a highball glass. Crush with a wooden spoon. Add amaretto, stir and add crushed ice. Fill the rest of the glass with ginger ale. Serves 1 but can easily be multiplied.

No comments:

Post a Comment