Saturday, August 21, 2010

Autumn is in the air






Can you feel it? Autumn is right around the corner. This is my favorite time of year. Summer is winding down along with the intense heat. Hooray! The mornings are crisp and cool allowing for a pleasant walk instead of racing to beat the heat. A trip to the local nursery is proof that the seasons are changing. Loads of mums, grasses, coleus and bags of spring bulbs are waiting to be purchased.


With the coming of Fall, I'm anxious to cook some of my heartier meals. Clam chowder, minestrone, risottos and lamb curry to name a few. And then Christmas will be here before you know it. A cooking extravaganza and only 4 months away! Pumpkin bread, Umbrian Soup, Czech bread and Lentil Soup. Somehow none of these ever sound appetizing in the Summer. Must be the heat of the oven! Last Winter I baked and baked just so I could warm the house with the oven. It was a cold one. Don't get me wrong I cherish the seasons and how each one brings a special beauty to the year. I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, maybe a home in Italy for the Summer would be ideal. And then there is that beach home in Mexico for the Winter. But, no matter what the season, here are words to live by: "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Enjoy the day you're in!



No comments:

Post a Comment