Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Cannoli Obsession


My obsession with the delicious cannoli continues. I'm always substituting unhealthy ingredients into a more wholesome option. This was a hard one because I like everything about the cannoli from the crispy fried shell to the creamy cheese filling. I think it could be a mortal sin to mess with the cannoli and its components! All you Catholic people know what I'm talking about.


As a child I even confessed to the priest that I had broken one of the ten commandments. "Thou shall not kill". I tearfully told him that I had killed my goldfish. While feeding him one day I noticed that his skin (scales) were very rough so I poured some baby lotion into the water to make him softer, thus killing my innocent fish. Can you imagine the priest probably doubled over with laughter behind the confessional screen? My penance was about 50 "our Father's" and 30 "Hail Mary's"!

So, I was reticent to mess with the almighty cannoli. But, I did and it turned out to be okay and actually good without all the guilt! Take a parfait glass or nice wine goblet and layer the following:

6 large strawberries, cut up
1 cup ricotta cheese (part skim)
2 drops of orange flavoring
2 tsp sugar
2 T mini chocolate chips
dash of cinnamon or powdered sugar

Mix the ricotta with the flavoring and sugar. First place 1/2 of strawberries in bottom of glass, mound 1/2 of ricotta, sprinkle 1/2 chocolate chips and then start over with the layers finishing with the dash of cinnamon or you can also use powdered sugar. Serves 2. Enjoy my cannoli parfait!

No comments:

Post a Comment