Monday, August 9, 2010

Savory Orange Chicken Fennel Salad


Some days my recipes are the brainchild of what's in the frig or pantry! I enjoy being creative while imagining the finished project. My taste buds are usually the guide because I rarely use a written recipe. There are no rules in my kitchen. I'm always searching for new and innovative ways to assemble a meal using the ever-versatile ingredient, chicken! This recipe has a freshness to it that seems to squelch the Summer heat.


15 oz can orange segments (use 3/4 c for salad)
1 small fennel bulb, sliced thinly
1 large chicken breast, precooked,boneless, skinless and cut up
1/2 handful parsley
2 T red pepper, diced
2 T onion, diced

Mix the above in a medium bowl. Make the dressing and add some to the chicken. Put the avocado in at the end before mounding chicken onto the greens.

1/2 - 1 avocado, chunks
mixed greens

For dressing:
3 T Balsamic vinegar (I used pomegranate infused vinegar)
1 T lemon juice
1 T Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1/2 handful parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
remaining orange segments plus 1 T juice from can
Place in blender and mix

Add 3 T of the dressing to the chicken mixture reserving the rest to drizzle over the top. You may substitute the parsley for cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment