Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Lovely People of Loreto - Part II


I love to travel for several reasons.  Experiencing another culture or way of life ranks high on my list along with the ethnic foods I get to sample.  Therefore, I find it necessary to categorize my travel to Loreto in separate posts.

In a category of its own is, The People of Loreto.  The following post will be about the food.  Yum and not so yum!

On our first day, we wanted to get the "lay of the land" and swoop into the heart of this quaint fishing village on the Sea of Cortez.  Barely a block from the water sits the main square where it's great just to sit and relax with a margarita and take in the sights and happenings around us.  We found the #1 ranked margarita in all of Loreto!  We met a gentleman named Tomas who made this claim and of course, I was up to the challenge!  The cafe/bar was called El Bohemia.  After a couple of sips, I knew I had indeed found the best margarita in town.  No need to search further, you only needed one!  Thanks, Tomas for your kind words and good recommendations on where to eat, etc.
Tomas at El Bohemia

You only need one margarita

Tomas led us to another eating establishment down the way.  More about the food in a later post.  We met Juanito (our friendly waiter at El Papaguayo Cantando) and Julio at the "sister" property of Mediterraneo.  Both were all smiles and very attentive.  I was a nice dining experience at both.

One little guy who stole my heart lured us into his parents pottery shop along the main street to show off his new puppy.  Next to kittens, I'm a pushover for puppies!  Who isn't.  Of course, I had to buy something and take a picture of his new puppy.  Now if the next shop was a jewelry store with a little girl and her kitten, I could go broke in Loreto!  Just kidding...great marketing tool though.
The posing puppy

The best and #1 pleasurable experience and one of the main reasons we went to Loreto was the wonderful lunch at Tom and Sue's  place.  I met Sue through her blog (long story, shortened) at http://www.sueslifeinbalance.com/  Check out her blog, it's very good and entertaining.  I thought maybe I had a long lost sister when we compared notes.  We are both from the same town of San Pedro, California, less than 24 hours apart in age (spooky) and we share our love for Italy and Italian food, among other things.
Sue & Tom

Sangria and Tortilla Soup

Anyway, we arrived near the Inn at Loreto, where we probably should have stayed.  The area is breathtakingly beautiful.  She showed us around as we meandered through fountained courtyards towards her villa, La Reposada.  (Did I get the name right, Sue?)  Tom and Sue graciously accepted us into their home and fed us lunch!!   Sangria , tortilla soup and warm flour and corn tortillas with fresh melting butter was on the menu.  Sue, it was amazing.....I need you to post your recipes, please!  After lunch we waddled up to the "tower" where we enjoyed their company, and got to know them better.  As we overlooked the Sea of Cortez, Sue pulled out the "big guns", serving authentic flavored ice cream bars as the temperature rose into the mid 80's.  Another one of those perfect travel days. 

Thanks, Tom and Sue for showing us a great time.  My only regret is that we missed that party in the tower the next night!  Sounds like you had too much fun!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful the food the sea of cortez. what a great opportunity to experience lovely family and photo's~ thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting another blogger is such a beautiful experience. I can see that you brought some beautiful memories with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi would you mind stаtіng which blog plаtform you're working with? I'm
    going to ѕtaгt my οwn blog soon but I'm having a tough time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking fοr something completely unіquе.
    P.S Apologies for gеtting off-topic but I haԁ to ask!


    my web pagе - Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete