Friday, August 26, 2011

Broccoli Slaw Delight


For many years cole slaw was a "turnoff" for me.  Why, you ask?  My first job was at a Kentucky Fried Chicken where I made and mixed the Colonel's wonderful side dish.  In my fashionable long food service gloves and long blond hair wrapped in a bun, I would literally dive into a large vat (looked like a large plastic trash can) and pour the secret dressing into bags and bags of cabbage.

I also prepared the mashed potatoes in a huge commercial mixer.  If you added the liquid first, and turned the machine on, the ingredients would whirl across the room and spatter anyone standing within a few feet of it.  And gravy making was another story...what a greasy mess!   When the main cook called in sick I was called upon to operate the commercial pressure cookers filled with loads of grease and skin scalding chicken.  Not my favorite!  My boss told me that if the timer went off,  you  had better release the pressure or it would explode sending grease and chicken everywhere!   What you do to pay the bills!   But my faithful cat , at the time, was always eager to greet me every evening, as I wreaked of chicken.  We both lived on a steady diet of chicken and cole slaw!

This cole slaw rendition has shredded broccoli but you can use regular cabbage.  It's a nice change from salad.

Ingredients:

3 cups broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage

1/4 c sliced almonds

1/4 c raisins

1 tsp ginger zest

For the dressing:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 tsp roasted garlic flavored vinegar

1 tsp horseradish mustard

1 tsp sugar

Make the dressing and reserve.  In a bowl add the 4 main ingredients, add the dressing and mix well.  Refrigerate for an hour or so.  This is great for that end of summer barbecue!  Serves about 4 people but can easily be doubled or tripled...do the math!

No comments:

Post a Comment