Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Roasted Eggplant Dip


Continuing with the healthful eating theme I came up with a recipe that was surprisingly tasteful. Something I could actually serve my hubby without force feeding him.

My first introduction to eggplant was during a birthday dinner at my aunt's house. She married into an Italian family and her in laws brought this over. I devoured it. I was fairly young and didn't know what I was eating at the time but I knew I'd want more of this funny purple vegetable. Especially when it was layered with melted cheese. My dad was never an Italian food fan so we hardly ever had pasta or the likes of eggplant Parmesan growing up. So many years later it would be a regular in my home.

I served the dip along with fat free tortillas broiled after spraying them with an oil substitute like Pam and sprinkling garlic or onion powder, sea salt and dried rosemary for more flavor. Great and guilt free!

1 roasted eggplant
1 roasted red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, cut
2 T onion
1/2 c garbanzo beans (chick peas)
squeeze of 1/2 lemon
handful of basil, fresh
salt (optional) and pepper to taste

Roast the eggplant and bell pepper in a 400 degree oven until done, turning once. This time will vary (35 mins) Peel and cut up both and place them in a food processor or blender along with the remaining ingredients. Serve on baguette or pita bread wedges. (or my fat free version tortillas)

No comments:

Post a Comment