Friday, September 17, 2010

Gingered Maple Salmon with Edamame



Growing up Catholic I had my fill of fish. If it was Friday it was fish day. That was a good thing! I lived in a fishing port outside of Los Angeles. Every Friday like clockwork Tony's fish market truck would slowly roll through the neighborhood. It was similar in concept to the ice cream man. Only the back of his truck opened up to a large display of seafood. The women (most didn't work outside the home in those days) were beckoned by the horns streaming into their homes. Fish was always in great supply back in the 50's and 60's. If you wanted fresh tuna, clams, swordfish, etc, Tony would deliver. He even had octopus and other rare species for the more adventurous. How I wish that could happen in my neighbor now.


Whenever we go on vacations it is more than likely to be where we can get FRESH fish. Also, if I ever splurge on a diet I would rather choose seafood over desert! Pretty weird but that's what satisfies me. Go figure! The gingered maple salmon tasted as if I was falling off the diet wagon but I wasn't. Now if I could only figure out how to get Tony delivering fresh fish every Friday in this day and age, I'd be a happy girl!


Gingered Maple Salmon with Edamame

In a zip lock plastic bag put in the following for the marinade:

1 tsp ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 T soy sauce
1/2 lime, juiced
1 T onion, diced
2 T maple syrup
2 salmon fillets, remove pin bones if you can beforehand
Marinade for at least 1 hour.


Using a stove top grill on medium-high heat, place the salmon skin side down. Turn after about 10 minutes, grilling the other side for another 10 minutes and it's done. (If fillets are thicker than 1 inch it may need a longer grilling time.) Serve on a bed of mixed greens and top with shelled and steamed edamame beans. Serves 2.


1 comment:

  1. The ginger really makes a difference with this dish! I love how the flavors mix well.

    ReplyDelete