Monday, September 13, 2010

Harvest Lentil Soup


We don't have this soup as often as we should. It's packed full of fiber and very low in fat, yet delicious and easy. Growing up we used to have lentils and oxtails. After realizing I was subjected to eating a real oxtail I wasn't too keen on the idea. I then switched it up and started adding kielbasa sausage for flavor and meatiness. Then it evolved into the crock pot since I worked many long hours for over 30 years. I would wake up around 4:00am and sleepily start throwing the ingredients into a crock pot. It was always so nice to return home to that aroma of home cooking, even though I would always worry about burning down the house while I was at work.


These days when everyone is so busy it's usually fast food or prepackaged food. Not so much in my home, though. Today I have streamlined the lentil dish reducing the preparation time to only 40 minutes from start to finish. To serve 4 people:


Rinse, drain and put 1 cup
lentils into large saucepan.
Add 2 cups water or broth (for larger servings use 2 to 1 ratio, water to lentils)
1 small sliced zucchini
1/4 chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
4 mushrooms, sliced
2 T rosemary, fresh

Bring it to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve. Great in the Winter! And you don't have to get up before the crack of dawn to make this! Who knew?

For a nice variation you can add red peppers or sliced carrots, too! Remember, this is in my "slimdown" lineup so feel free to add meat in yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment