Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Baby Bok Choy Lo Mein


Variety is the spice of life! The slim down plan I'm on discourages too much variety while planning your meals. Get yourself into a routine with the same meals over and over. Well, if you are a dog I guess that's okay, but it is not acceptable for me. I love to shake it up and try new concoctions. I usually survey the vegetable isles for something different to try. My son who is a great cook uses bok choy (a Chinese cabbage) so he was my inspiration for this recipe. Although I may have had bok choy at a Chinese restaurant, I 'm embarrassed to say I've never cooked it at home.


In an effort to avoid raw zucchini and carrots sticks for lunch one day, I created this. The trick is always to omit the oils and still have it taste good. I surprised myself with this recipe and it turned out to be a great substitute for pasta.


I roasted some traditional cabbage and bok choy beforehand.

9 oz package of Chinese style noodles (I used 1/2 package)
1 sliced baby bok choy
1 hand sized piece of cabbage, sliced
1 T soy sauce, low sodium
2 T water
2 T honey mustard dressing (mine was fat free)
3 slices onion
cilantro for flavor
1 tsp ginger, grated (optional)

Cook your noodles for 3 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside while mixing the remaining ingredients in a frying pan. Just saute long enough to blend the flavors. Put your noodles into the pan and mix until evenly coated. You can change the ingredients to include snow peas, broccoli, bean sprouts or carrots. Sprinkle chopped peanuts on top for extra crunch if you wish. Serves 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment