Sunday, October 2, 2011

Simply Baked Cod


It doesn't get any easier than baked cod fish.  To me, cod is the sea's "chicken".  It's very versatile when it comes to the many things you can do with this firm whitefish.  Fish and chips, fish tacos or simply baked cod are just a few ways to prepare it.  For now, I choose to bake...a no fuss recipe.

The first tip is to purchase your fish from a reputable source.  You never know these days.  As I grew up on the ocean I took for granted, at the time, the ease of fresh fish availability.  Being landlocked I tend to scrutinize my selections.  When stores aggressively advertise fish on sale, I'm a little wary.
I guess I've been spoiled by living on the ocean and, also, by being fortunate enough to travel to different coastal regions where the fish is "same day" fresh.  There is a difference!

I purchased the cod "fresh" and got lucky, but you could certainly try frozen fillets. 

Simply Baked Cod

Ingredients:  Serves 2

2 cod pieces, about 6 oz. each

1-2 Tbsp olive oil

a couple sprigs of fresh dill

1/2 Tbsp grated ginger (optional)

1 garlic clove, grated

salt and pepper to taste

squeeze of 1/2 lemon

Place the cod pieces into a glass baking dish with either pan spray or a little drizzle of olive oil

Sprinkle fish with the salt and pepper, ginger and garlic.  Arrange the dill on top, drizzle with more olive oil and the squeeze of lemon.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes, maybe less.

No comments:

Post a Comment