Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sooo Very French Chicken Leek Soup


A while back I began reading a book called, "French Women Don't get Fat".  The title intrigued me, however I only browsed through the first three chapters and set it aside.  I'm revisiting this book because 1) I'm French 2) I got chubby,  3) I like reading the same genre for which  my book will be, and finally, because I lost weight after following one simple trick.

In the book, the author struggles with her weight, especially after spending a year in America.  The land of plenty!   Long story short....when she returned to France several pounds heavier she began to evaluate her habits and findings.  For me, it was interesting reading and I identify with many of her ideas and ways of eating and preparing food. 

The one "trick" to jump start her weight loss regime was "Miracle Leek Soup".  The other day I had a slab of chicken, leeks in the crisper drawer, loads of spinach, garlic etc., so I adapted her recipe to create my own soup hoping for a miracle!  This was better than I thought it would be and to create the "mood",  I sat down in my formal dining room and "really" focused on the midday meal, another pointer from the book.   The serendipity was that I lost a full pound the day after.  Hmmm...I guess I'll finish the book now.

French Chicken Leek Soup

2 servings

1 large chicken breast, previously cooked, baked, broiled or boiled and shredded

2 leeks, green ends removed, cleaned.  You'll be left with a 4 inch size piece.  Slice thinly.

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups chicken or vegetable broth

1 cup water

2 handfuls of spinach

1 tsp coriander (optional)

a couple drops of chipotle hot sauce (also optional, but adds a nice heat)

In a heated saucepan put the oil in , then garlic and leeks.  On low heat, soften but do not brown.  Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or longer.  There you have it!  It's even better the next day!

1 comment:

  1. Although we are still in the heart of Fall, here the temperatures are more on the Winter side. With such a cold weather this soup seems the right thing for me!

    ReplyDelete