Thursday, September 29, 2011

I Miss Mexican - Chicken


By now I can say I'm not craving any food and I don't really get that hungry.  However, I do have a few foods that I sorely miss.  Believe it or not, I miss having oatmeal in the morning, I miss my beloved pasta, ice cream is a no-brainer for me and I miss Mexican food!  Perhaps it's that cheesy goodness or the spice that I enjoy.  Hmmm, maybe it's the margarita that compliments the food from south of the border.  It's like having pasta without wine!

So.... looking for substitutions was my quest the other day.  Although I've had tomatillas many times, I've never cooked with them, myself.  I always viewed them in the grocery store but figured I could live without them.  Until now.  I was wanting a Mexican dish I could safely eat, yet spicy and flavorful enough to enjoy.

First, you have to understand that this slim down plan is VERY limiting so here's what I came up with!

Mexican Chicken for one

1 chicken breast, no skin, no bones

garlic powder
salt & pepper

1 Tbsp olive oil

1-2 tomatillas, remove skin and cut into thin wedges

1/2 cup juice from salsa

In a non-stick skillet heat the oil and place the chicken (already spiced with seasonings) into the pan to brown.  After about 8-10 minutes, turn and continue to cook on the other side.  Throw the tomatillas into the same pan and stir until browned or lightly charred.  Add the salsa juice to help the chicken stay moist.   When done, place the sliced chicken onto a bed of lettuce or cabbage and add more salsa to taste.  Not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment