Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Split Pea Soup for Grownups


I really don't know what possessed me to create this kind of soup.  I guess I'm still grasping for those tried and true French recipes.  In all honesty, I do not like to eat my peas.  They are my least favorite vegetable next to lima beans!

Growing up, fresh veggies were not readily available so people usually reverted to canned products.  Yuk, canned peas.  Next came those frozen bags of peas.  Not too bad, especially if they were smothered in that white sauce, if you know what I mean.

I remember many times my parents would put that bowl of dreaded peas in front of us at the dinner table.  Of course, we couldn't leave until they were gone!  My sister and I thought we were so smart when we would sneak a mouthful of peas into our napkins, lower them below the table to our eagerly waiting German Shepherd/wolf mix, Laddie.  Laddie loved peas!  What a brainstorm!  What a great way to dispose of  eat our tasteless peas!  To our chagrin, my parents were not as dumb as we thought and after they realized what we were up to, we'd be dished up some more.  Then they threatened to save them for breakfast if not gobbled up.  That never happened; they'd forget  fix us a nice breakfast and send us on our way.  But, to this day I cringe at the sight of peas and lima beans on my plate!

However, split pea soup is another story.  Even though I didn't like it as a child, I have developed a taste for it now.  Beans are so easy to incorporate into meals, especially soups.  When it's Winter outside soup comes to the rescue.

Ingredients:

1/2 Hickory smoked ham shank, rinsed  (Find one, it's worth it.)
1/2 c onions, chopped
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, chopped
1 rib of celery, chopped
5 cups water
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1 c dried split peas
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 potato, peeled and chopped small
pepper

Using a large pot, saute onions in the oil until soft.  Add garlic, carrots, celery, peas, water, ham shank, bay leaf, basil and thyme.  Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to simmer for about 2 hours or longer.  During the second hour, add the potatoes and broth with a little pepper.  (No salt is needed due to the saltiness of the shank.)  You'll love this soup!

1 comment:

  1. How could one not to like this soup. You have enriched it with so many flavorful ingredients, split peas are only a small part of it! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete