Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pizza - Packer or Steeler - Which Slice Wins



Tomorrow is kickoff day.  Have you decided what to bring to the party?  Or maybe you're hosting the party and you need more ideas.  Well, I'm here to help you.

These appetizers allow you to be a part of the celebration.  You can free up some time by making these ahead.  You won't feel like you're "banished" to the kitchen or being punished.

The first idea is for the people who are always watching their weight.  The ones who will only graze.   No guilt with these appetizers.  All you need is a head of cauliflower, cookie sheet or roasting pan, some olive oil, salt and pepper.  Set the oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the cauliflower into flowerets or bite size chunks, layer on the pan with salt and pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and roast for about 35 minutes turning halfway through the process.

Meanwhile I adapted this honey mustard dipping sauce from the book, French Women Don't Get Fat.  Interesting book!

Dip Ingredients:
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/4 c Dijon type mustard
1 T honey
salt and pepper

Mix these in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for the game.  Serve with your cauliflower or any other vegetable you may want to roast.  Note:  You may want to double the recipe for a group or to use later on sliders or sandwiches.  Great flavor!
Roasted cauliflower with honey mustard dipping sauce

Now the other item I made yesterday for my tester (hubby) was an old standby.  You cannot lose making pizza.  Doesn't everyone love pizza?   This one is for the culinary challenged audience because I used a store bought crust (Boboli).  I have to say these dough disks are great especially if you're a working woman.  I have made my own crust and enjoy working with the dough and love the aroma of pizza dough baking in the oven but for this, boboli.

You'll probably have guests or friends rooting for their team and more than likely it won't be the same one.  For my pizza I went with a split personality effect.  One side I brushed with olive oil, the other with tomato sauce.  The packer side was garnished with  garlic, caramelized onions, green spinach (green colored jerseys), fresh chopped basil and topped with goat cheese.  Thus the French influence of the upper Wisconsin area.

Green or black condiments
The steeler side of the pizza was more traditional  with garlic, onion, black olives (black colored jerseys) and topped with mozzarella.  You could even add football shaped pepperoni pieces, but I'm not too fond of meat on my pizza!  Sorry!

And the winner, in my opinion, was the Packer pizza side.  The caramelized onion and goat cheese managed to push it over the goal.  Enjoy and try these ideas.  You won't be sorry.

3 comments:

  1. I am a known sucker for pizza. This one is by far the best. I wish I was invited there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you could join us, too. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Pizza one of my favorite foods.

    I love You
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete