Sunday, September 18, 2011

What a Difference a Year Makes - French Fennel Chicken


Almost one year to the date I was attempting to lose some weight.  Seems to be a trend here.  I'll agree with you there.  I've always struggled with the weight issue and have probably been on every diet or "lifestyle" change imaginable!  Why should this time be any different?  It would be easier if I could somehow place the blame on others.  That seems to be the "way out" these days, but I know I'm responsible for the consequences of ALL my actions, including what goes in my mouth.  With that said, I've been averaging a pound a day lose vs. last year.   

Because of the restrictions on the current "live it" (I can't stand that diet word!), I'm always thinking of a better, healthier way to prepare food with minimal ingredients.  I mean bare bones white meat chicken, egg whites, lettuce, cabbage, fruits and veggies.  The key to success is seasonings and fresh herbs, lemons and limes. 

It's also been a challenge because I love to cook gourmet, decadent type entrees.  Chicken and fennel, plain, is hardly gourmet, so I once again put my mind in motion to develop this "French Fennel Chicken" dinner.  I was amazed at what a few spices and mustard  could do to transform drab to decadent!

Ingredients for 2 servings:

slightly under 1 lb. of  chicken breast meat, uncooked and cut into finger size pieces

salt and pepper to season

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 clove of garlic, minced

3/4 - 1 cup organic fat free chicken broth

1 1/2 Tbsp brown mustard

1 large fennel bulb, sliced

a handful of spinach

In a large skillet, heat the oil and add the  seasoned chicken, cooking until nicely browned.  You may need to add a small amount of the broth to keep it moist.  Remove the chicken from the pan.  Put the fennel, spinach, and  garlic in the pan and on medium heat, saute until softened but still a little crispy.  You want some crunch.

Remove the fennel and set aside with the chicken on a serving dish..  In the pan there will be a few drippings.  Quickly whisk in the mustard and add the broth to make a silky sauce.  Pour over the plated entree and serve. Yum!  Very Provencal!

No comments:

Post a Comment