Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Lavender Lemon Drop Cookies


Over the past few years. I've been dabbling in culinary lavender recipes.  It's great in sweet and savory dishes and smells heavenly!  I now have a couple of bushes in my backyard and some have decided to spread amongst the rocks.  The plan is to let them be and to strategically add to them every year until my yard is filled with their beauty and relaxing scent!

Future backyard

I've tried making lavender pancakes, cookies and cakes and look forward to finding other ways to use this intoxicating herb.  Maybe a vanilla lavender ice cream! 

I found this recipe online from the Avonlea West Island Retreat in British Columbia.  The name suggests a serene and scenic place!  I followed it very closely because sometimes baking and me don't see eye to eye.  This time the result was good and I'll certainly make these again.

Makes about 3 dozen

10-12 sprigs of fresh lavender

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 tsp vanilla

pinch of salt

zest from 1 lemon

2 tbsp lemon juice

2 eggs, slightly beaten

2 cups flour

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (375 for high altitude)  Lightly grease cookie sheet.  Peel off the lavender florets.  Cream butter and sugar in a mixer.  Add the lemon zest, juice and vanilla.  Then beat in the egg.  Blend in the dry ingredients.

The dough will be slightly sticky.  Drop by teaspoon onto the cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes until a  light golden color.  Pop them in your mouth and relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment