Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday Travel - Picnic in the Sierra Nevadas








"There are few things so pleasant as a picnic eaten in perfect comfort." - W. Somerset Maugham

Today is Travel Tuesday, and yes, I'd like to say I went hiking in Macchu Picchu or Costa Rica.  However, some of the best hiking trails happen to be right in my backyard and that's where I "hit the trails" the last two weekends.

Did you know that Macchu Picchu's elevation is lower than my hike on the Lower Loop Tahoe Meadow trail?  The Tahoe Meadow's trail came in at around 8500 elevation while Macchu Picchu hovers around 8000 feet!  Of course, to get to the Peruvian site you need to go to Cusco to begin the Inca Trail hike or take the train to a point where you hike the rest of the way.  Holy crap, Cusco is at 14,000 feet!!!  I've got more conditioning ahead of me...

Nevertheless, we made the trek into the meadows with picnic provisions in the backpack.  Hubby carried the backpack while I snapped pictures and made sure I didn't pass out!   The trail is wide and mostly flat except for a few hills which we navigated with a few brief "rest stops" to catch our my breath.  About half way we stopped for our picnic.  Gourmet peanut butter and jam, and last week roasted red pepper hummus with avocado on, of course, Tahoe 12 grain bread!

I'll leave you with some pictures of the beautiful Tahoe Meadow Trail System which starts just off highway 431 between Mount Rose ski resort and pristine  Lake Tahoe.  


Trail system map



Babbling Ophir Creek meanders through the hike

View of Washoe Lake looking East

Picnic time ...Hummus and avocado sandwich





Ahhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment