Friday, September 21, 2012

Apple Crisp - Beginning of Fall



Today marks the beginning to one of my favorite Seasons.  Fall is when the hustle and bustle slows down, the leaves turn to gold and crimson, the weather cools down and I start to make soups and fruit crisp!  Last evening I felt the urge to make a big pot of lentil soup.  The body knows when it's Fall.

Even though, my vegetable growing was lack luster, the fruit trees in this part of the country are heaving with apples, peaches, pears and apricots.  Now, is when I wish I had planted fruit tress.  Normally, they don't thrive in this climate and/or altitude, but this year we were never subjected to the late Spring frost!   Who knows; Maybe next year!

One of my neighbors "donated" the apples for this crisp.  Whenever I have those "reject" apples..You know, the ones no one will eat because of a bruise or two, I make a batch of applesauce.  Just peel, core and slice or cut into chunks, depending on what you'll use them for.   Put into a 3 qt saucepan with a little bit of water, cinnamon and sugar (I use a packet of truvia.)  Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally, and reduce the heat to simmer until they're softened.  Then you can have fresh applesauce on oatmeal, with pork chops or make an apple crisp!  For this recipe I used about 2 1/2 cups of cooked apples.



Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter (or use coconut oil) an 8x8 inch square baking pan.  In a medium bowl put:

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup oats (regular or quick cooking)

add:

1/2 (4 oz) butter (cut up)

Work the chunks of butter in until you have a coarse meal (slightly lumpy).  

add:

1/4 cup chopped pecans

1 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp salt

Mix well.  Pour the apples into the pan, leveling them out.  Add the flour/oat mix on top, spreading evenly and gently press down.  Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.  Cool slightly.  Can be served warm or cold.  It's just plain great, anyway!

NOTE:  While I can take credit for the apple crisp picture, the changing colors of the leaves picture was taken during a New England Fall vacation several years ago.  You need to see the hills with flaming crimson, gold and yellow at least once.  Put it on your "bucket list".  Gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment