Friday, September 28, 2012

Tangy Zucchini Slaw



For the longest time I turned my nose up at the thought of eating any kind of slaw.  My first job was at Kentucky Fried Chicken where you got cole slaw or mashed potatoes instead of fries with that!  I would pour huge bags of cabbage into trash can-like containers, open bags of liquid dressing and mix away, practically diving into the mess slaw with every stir.  You get the picture.  So, yes, it took me a while to realize I was better off making my own.  Most of the time I know exactly what goes into my food.

For some unknown reason I  recently had a craving for slaw!  Here's my version of it with the addition of shredded zucchini.  MUST get rid of this zucchini any way I can!

Ingredients:

2 cups very thinly sliced "ribbons" of red cabbage (green cabbage can also be used)

1 cup shredded zucchini  Squeeze the excess liquid from it before measuring.

1/3 cup thinly sliced onion.

Vinaigrette

juice from 1/2 lime

1 Truvia packet (or the equivalent of other sugar, a tsp or so)

1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar  (I used roasted garlic flavor)

1 Tbsp mayonnaise

1 Tbsp olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Put the cabbage, zucchini and onion in a large bowl or container.  In a smaller bowl whisk the vinaigrette together and pour over the cabbage.  Blend well and season with salt and pepper to taste. This can be served immediately but it's best if it "marries" in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment