Thursday, September 13, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Cake



If you have an over abundance of zucchini from your garden, and most people do right now, here's a way to put a dent in it and enjoy your harvest.  As for me, my harvest has been slow and sporadic.  For some reason I've gotten shriveled or tapered ends on my zucchini.   Although unsightly, it doesn't stop me from using these.  Who's going to know if they're shredded up!

Not so pretty but perfect for breads and cakes!


When I run across recipes, I check over the ingredients to see if I can cut off some of the fat or sugar. I guess this behavior comes from a lifetime of dieting and trying to eat right.  But, I was in one of my moods that made me declare "Who gives a rip!"   The only adapting I did was using vegan cane sugar (because that's what I had) instead of regular sugar.  Besides, there is healthy zucchini in the recipe making it moist and satisfying.  I rarely put frosting on top unless it's a special occasion so I figure I'm cutting back, right?  Sure....

Chocolate Zucchini Cake - Adapted from The Italian Dish Blog

2 - 2 1/2 cups of medium grated zucchini.  I used my handy box grater.

1 Tablespoon of coconut oil or butter can be used to grease the pan

1 cube  (8 Tbsp)unsalted butter, room temp and cut into pieces

2- 3/4 cup flour

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa

1 1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

1- 1/2 cup sugar.  I used vegan sugar

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup buttermilk  (if you don't have any, put 1/2 Tbsp of white vinegar in milk  and let it sit for 15 minutes before using.)

Grate your zucchini and make sure it is squeezed and well drained.  Grease a 9 inch round baking pan with the coconut oil or butter and heat the oven to 350 degrees.

Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl.  In another larger bowl beat the butter and sugar until fluffy,  Add the oil while beating, then the eggs one at a time, add vanilla and start to incorporate the flour and buttermilk in batches using a low speed on your mixer.  Stir in the zucchini and pour into the pan.  Bake until done, for about an hour.  Check with a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake.  When it comes out clean, it's done.  Remove from the oven and cool for approximately 15 minutes.  Invert and carefully remove it from the pan.  Dust with powdered sugar or frost with your favorite frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment