Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring - A Time for Rebirth and Projects

As the weather finally warms up around here,  I find myself enjoying my garden and surroundings so much more.  For me, it's a time of rebirth for my soul and body.  It's also a time to take inventory, to see what needs to be done around this piece of property.  There is always something that needs to be done!

Usually it starts with "weed patrol".  With all the rain and snow we received the weeds could swallow this acre+ in one season.  But amongst those weeds I notice the promise of a beautiful Spring and Summer.  The crocus have sprouted a few weeks ago,  followed by the bright yellow daffodils.  I'm already looking forward to next Spring!   (I just planted a bunch more.)  I always wanted my yard to be a field of daffodils right out of a scene in Dr. Zhivago!  I'm working on that!   The baby pansies (violas) are scattered in their strategic spots and the irises are making a mad dash to bloom.

last year's iris

In no time at all I can begin to create recipes accented with chives, oregano and fresh mint!  All this excites me.  Simple pleasures!  I putter around the garden daily.  I pick, prune, pinch and admire.   It seems like part of my meditation...so good for my soul.  I remember back years ago when we had those school projects, putting a seed or two into a cut-off milk carton.  Everyday we would rush to see the progress. Who cares about reading and writing; I wanted to plant!  I'm a farmer at heart!

Oregano anyone?

 Then I would follow my grandmother around her yard as she pampered her flowers.   Her sweet peas were exquisite!  My dad and mom are always working on their yard.  It's a thing of beauty.  It's also amazing that they still get out there as they are in their 80's now.  Maybe it's the secret to longevity.  It works for them.  It's comforting to see the fruits of their labor, great veggies and beautiful flowers.

This week I will be planting some spinach and radishes.  It's a slow start but the growing season is short at the elevation where I live.  It can and has snowed every month of the year.  These cold weather veggies should do well.    You'll soon see more spinach creations, I'm sure!

As for today, I have more projects that need to be done.  It's a great day to feel alive!  Enjoy the day... and the beauty that surrounds you.

No comments:

Post a Comment