Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hungry for Hungarian Paprika Chicken


If I was asked to come up with a book on cooking chicken 100 ways, I wouldn't have any trouble doing so.  Over the years, my chicken recipes have evolved from baked, barbecued and fried into wonderful time tested recipes and worthy "experiments". 

Chicken paprika is on my list for simple, yet tasteful recipes.  It is actually called chicken paprikash of Hungarian descent and is considered a "comfort" food, whatever that means!  Are there "discomforting" chicken recipes? 

I knew I would have a problem in making this dish since my hubby dislikes sour cream.  I usually try to sneak that ingredient in when he's not looking.  The first time I tried it on him, he wasn't real thrilled.  But, this time,  just like magic, he went for seconds.  What did I do differently?  Not sure, but I substituted thighs instead of breast meat.  Never be afraid to alter a recipe to your taste.  Most times you'll get great results!

Traditionally, chicken paprika is served with or over noodles to soak up every drop of that beautiful saffron colored gravy  This time I served it alongside my mashed cauliflower.  (on a previous post)  It was a "no carbs" night!

CHICKEN PAPRIKA

4-5 skinless chicken thighs

2 Tbsp olive oil

1 c onions, sliced or chopped

1 1/2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp paprika

pinch of salt and pepper

1 c chicken broth

1 Tbsp thickening flour

1/2 c sour cream

I like to cut the thighs into pieces measuring 2x3 (no special reason other than it looks better and fits in the skillet better)

In a large skillet and on medium high heat place oil and cook the chicken for approximately 10 minutes, turning once.   Remove them and set them aside.  In the same pan, saute the onions in butter, briefly or until translucent.  Add paprika, salt and pepper, then add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat to simmer.  Now mix the sour cream with the thickening flour and quickly whisk into the broth.

Almost done on simmer

 Put the chicken back into the pan and simmer until chicken is done and the sauce/gravy has thickened.  Serve over noodles or rice.  Enjoy this simple meal!

1 comment:

  1. Yum I love chicken paprika and this looks delicious. Thanks for the great recipe! - Cathy Pieroz at Ray White Alexandra Hills

    ReplyDelete