Thursday, April 4, 2013

Whole Wheat Pasta with Shrimp and Artichoke Hearts


Whole wheat pasta appears on my bucket list.  I wanted to make a more wholesome, healthy version of pasta this time around.  The taste was nuttier and texture a bit dense.  But, when you're craving ANY pasta dish, this satisfies!  To finish it off, I added shrimp, artichoke hearts, garlic and mushrooms.  Not bad!

I'm fortunate enough to have a Kitchen aid  mixer with all the pasta rollers and cutters (bells & whistles).  Hand rolling is not for me!  Lately the two most used gadgets in my kitchen are my food processor and my kitchen aid mixer.  Everything else I could live without (I think.)  Ready to make some whole wheat pasta?  Let's do it!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat (I used white whole wheat this time)

1/2 cup regular flour

1/4 tsp salt

3 eggs (room temperature)

1 Tbsp olive oil

In the food processor add the flours and salt and pulse.  Then add the eggs and pulse.  The mixture will not "come together" until you start adding some oil.  Depending on the weather (seriously) you may need to add a bit more oil.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board.  You should be able to form it into a ball.  Knead slightly and then form into a disk.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30-40 minutes.  It will be easier to work with.

For this recipe I only used 1/3 of the dough.  To roll, first I cut smaller pieces, rolled with a rolling pin (a 2 x 4 inch size is good)  so it would fit into the pasta roller attachment.  Pass the dough through on #1 setting.  It will knead and roll.  Pass through again, then bump up the setting to 2, 3, 4, 5, and finally #6.  The strip will get wider and thinner with each pass.

As I do each one I lay the strips onto a floured tea towel.  Now, you change attachments to the cutter. You can choose spaghetti, fettuccine or leave them alone for lasagna noodles.  I did fettuccine.  As the strip gets cut, cradle and twist into "nests" and lay them back on the floured tea towel.  

You can cook them immediately or freeze for later.  If cooking now, they only take a fraction of the time the dried noodles take.  Usually only 2-3 minutes.  I prepared the shrimp/artichoke "sauce" right before.  The pasta needs your undivided attention!

The sauce is only a mixture of garlic, olive oil, artichokes, mushrooms sauteed, then throw in the shrimp.  Cook until done.  Add the pasta with a bit of pasta water and maybe a bit more olive oil (only to moisten)  Lately, I've been substituting broth instead of oils.  It works!

NOTE:  I guess you've noticed, this is not for beginner's.  Give it a try though.....fresh pasta is always better!

No comments:

Post a Comment