Monday, April 8, 2013

Trick Your Taste Buds - Kale Chips


If you were to tell me I'd be snacking on kale, I would have thought you were nuts!  You would have to have your head in the sand to not hear about all the healthy properties of kale these days.  But, what do you do with it?  I've used it in simple recipes ususally sauteed with raisins and pine nuts.  Delicious!  It can be thrown into salads, soups and egg dishes.

My latest snack is kale chips.  I've never been a big fan of potato chips (thank God!).  Hand me a bag of Cheetos, though, and I'll be your friend for life!  These kale chips don't taste like Cheetos, however!  I can appreciate the fact that they are good for me....and they're so easy to make.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

You can buy pre-cut kale in bags now at most stores.  Or, you can purchase stalks of the same in the organic (preferably) section of the supermarket.  To prepare the kale for roasting, cut from the stalk and remove any hard stems, cut into pieces.

Spray a cookie sheet with either butter spray or olive oil spray.  Lay out the kale evenly on the sheet and spray with a spritz of pan spray.  Sprinkle with sea salt (not too much).  Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.  Halfway through "shuffle" the kale.  Remove and eat when cool.  These are great on salads, baked potatoes, for starters  and are GUILT FREE!  The longer they sit and cool, the crispier they become....try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment