Sunday, October 28, 2012

Rice Pilaf


In the last 2 years since I've been writing this blog I've never made this rice pilaf!  This was almost a staple in my home starting 30 years ago.  How can that be?  Lately I've been compiling, sorting, revising, reviewing, testing and listing certain recipes that are worthy of starring in "the book".    It's a tedious process but some one's gotta do it!

So, the list of recipes gets longer and there's so many more favorites.  This rice pilaf was originally made by my parents and we'd have it as a side dish on many a Sunday dinner at Grandma's.  It's recently been lightened up when it comes to how much butter I use.   It's true, "Everything tastes better with butter", but I always envision what it's doing in my arteries!   Yikes!

Serves 6

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp butter

1 cup vermicelli coils or Fideo, broken apart

2 garlic cloves, chopped

1/4 tsp garlic powder (can't have enough garlic, right?)

3/4 - 1 cup white rice, basmati preferably

1 can (14.5 oz) of beef broth, fat free, reduced sodium

6 oz. water

1/8 tsp salt

In a large skillet (that has a lid), melt butter on medium, add the vermicelli and stir constantly until lightly browned.  Add the garlic cloves, powder, and rice stirring as you go.  Add the broth, water and salt.  Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer.  Cover and cook until done, about 30 minutes.  Depending on the weather keep an eye on it so the water doesn't evaporate too quickly.   Add a bit more water if it does.  Fluff with a fork and serve.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment