Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Marinara



You've all probably heard of sauce referred to as Marinara, tomato, pomodoro. puttanesca, Bolognese, Sunday gravy, etc, etc.  I'm sure the list goes on.  Marinara is a simple tomato sauce I use for a quick sauce, one that doesn't require  hours to cook.  Depending on the region of Italy you come from, or how you want to use the sauce, will depend on what recipe you'll use.  Or, maybe, you have a "secret" family recipe that has been passed down for years.

Then there are those of us who had to travel to Italy to finally "get it", come home and start to experiment in the kitchen to get it right.  Or travel to Costa Rica, of all places, to have the BEST lasagna on the planet.   After years of trial and error with sauces I made this one recently to go on some fried eggplant.  So, as far as Marinara goes, I'm done.  Sunday sauce or a good Bolognese is still being "developed".

Now, I do have a great sauce recipe from family, but if I posted it, I'd have the mafia coming to break both my arms!  (just kidding, I hope) Until another time....enjoy this simple marinara.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 medium onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, sliced

28 oz. can of diced or whole tomatoes, cut up

1 Tbsp dried oregano  (next time I will omit this, don't much care for oregano)

1 handful torn up fresh basil

1 package of truvia sweetener (or use sugar)

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup tomato paste

1/4 - 1/2 cup red wine

In a large pot, heat the oil, add onions and cook until soft.  Add the garlic, stir for a minute, then add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, truvia , salt, tomato paste and wine.  Stir well, bring it to a slow boil, cover loosely, and reduce the heat to low.  Simmer on low for about 30 minutes or longer.

Pour sauce into a blender and puree to the consistency you want.  You can also leave some chunks in your sauce if you like that.  You're in control!  Now adorn your eggplant or pasta with this marinara.  Mangia! (Eat!)

Note:  The top picture is before it went into the blender.

Marinara on zucchini and eggplant

No comments:

Post a Comment