Friday, October 5, 2012

Fruity Homemade Granola



I've been known to make some healthy food around here.  It's not all pasta and desserts.  Usually I'll cook mostly veggie concoctions and chicken or fish until my hubby has a hankering for a hunk of meat!  

This granola recipe was adapted from Heidi Swanson's book called, "Super Natural Cooking".  My almost daughter-in-law loaned it to me for inspiration.   I scaled back the amounts to make half a batch.  Although I've made granola before, this batch was hands down more flavorful than the one of the past.  It's a keeper!  Delicious by itself or as a topping with yogurt.

Ingredients:

2 cups rolled oats

1/2 cup chopped nuts.  Any assortment will do.

2/3 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds, shelled of course

1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes

3/4 cup dried fruits.  I used dried blueberries,  chopped mango and chopped pineapple.

1 tsp of  ginger root zest

1 tsp of  orange peel zest

1/2 cup honey

1/8 cup coconut oil

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut, dried fruit, ginger and orange zest.  Stir to blend.  In a small saucepan heat the honey and coconut oil on low heat a few minutes until it thins out.  Pour this over the oat mixture and mix well until coated.  Spread onto a baking sheet (cookie sheet) and bake for a total of 40 minutes.  During this time stir every 10 minutes.  Cool and store.

No comments:

Post a Comment