Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Mexican 7 Layer Dip


Who says you have to have a big production for dinner?  Since the birth of this blog, I have to admit, we haven't had the same meal very often over the last two years!  Just thinking about that makes me tired!  So, another lazy girl dinner is what's on the menu.

About 30 years ago I tasted my first 7 layer dip.  You know the one, with beans, cheese, olives, onions, tomatoes, guacamole and sour cream.  Layer it all and dig in!  To make it a little more substantial, I added some ground beef, but actually I like it with just the beans.  To compliment this "meal", of course, you MUST have a margarita or two!  What's Mexican food without those?  It's like Italian food without wine!  Right?  And add something healthy, like cantaloupe slices and call it a dinner!

Mexican 7 Layer Dip

1/2 lb ground beef (optional)

a dash of chili powder

a dash of garlic powder

1 can black or refried beans.  If leaving out the meat add another can of beans

a mix of red onion and green onions (1 cup or so)

1 chopped tomato

1 small can of sliced black olives

guacamole (make your favorite recipe)

1 cup grated cheddar or jack or a mix of both

1/2 cup of salsa or picante sauce

a dollop or two of sour cream

If you want the meat version brown the ground beef in a skillet with chili powder and garlic powder.   Add 1 can of beans, red onions and stir.  Pour the meat/bean mixture into a serving glass pie plate.  Start to layer the remaining ingredients.  I don't think there is a proper order for this layering process.  Use your imagination!  When done, serve with chips and that margarita!  Ole!

Note:  No sour cream in this one.  Hubby doesn't care for sour cream unless I "hide it" in a recipe.  I'll never tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment