Monday, June 25, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan on the Grill!


What's on the grill, now?  I  think most people are intimidated by eggplant or they don't know what to do with it, but it's one of my favorite vegetables.  Growing up, my family never prepared it...not sure why.  Maybe, because at family gatherings one of the Italian inlaws would bring over the best eggplant parmesan casserole which was pretty hard to compete with.  Years would go by without another eggplant "exposure".

Then, I married an Italian and eggplant seemed to be part of the package.  Lucky me!  I learned several different ways to prepare the purple football shaped veggie.  And, a few I made up myself along the way.  Just recently, though, a lot of grilling has been going on over here.  Why not grill an eggplant?  And make it appear like a casserole?  We did, and it turned out wonderful.

1 eggplant, cut into 1/4 inch slices

2 pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil measuring aprrox 18 " in length

sprinkle of salt and pepper

1 cup diced Muir Glen organic tomatoes with basil & garlic (my choice)

drizzle of olive oil

about 4 oz. sliced mozzarella

First, spray the bottom of one piece of foil with pan spray.  Begin to layer the eggplant, making about 4 rows or so.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add the tomatoes (scatter) and drizzle olive oil on top.  Seal all the ends by rolling and crimping.  Place on the grill for about 30 minutes.  Carefully open the edges and layer the cheese on top of the eggplant.  Loosely close (no need to crimp edges).  The heat and steam will melt the cheese.  Remove and serve immediately.   This was a meal in itself....very good!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment