Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pan Fried Oysters


Yes, you heard it right.  Pan fried oysters.  Growing up I was exposed to many different and unique foods.  It was a time when avocados were not yet trendy, so I didn't know how to appreciate them.  At one of my childhood homes we had a huge avocado tree that would weigh heavily with those green gems.  The tree was so large that my sister and friends would play house beneath the spread out branches.  A gigantic natural tent!

Living on the coast I was able to experience the freshest seafood.  My father would buy oysters, probably not to my mom's liking, and  cook them with a saltine cracker crust.  I liked them but it wasn't my favorite.  Abalone was the best!  Good luck trying to get a hold of abalone these days.

Oysters have become somewhat trendy, too!  On a trip to San Juan Island I sampled barbecued oysters.  Wow!  I need to try that!  On another vacation to the coast above San Francisco, the oyster joints are plentiful and they're served so many different ways.   In soups, chowders, Rockefeller, raw, etc.

Until you can acquire the taste for raw oysters, try this recipe at home.  You'll love it.

Ingredients:

1 jar (6-8 oz) of oysters

1 egg

1/2 cup flour for dusting

1/2 - 1 cup panko bread crumbs for coating

1 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp olive oil

hot sriracha chili sauce for garnish (optional, but good)

Set up a dipping station with flour in one bowl, egg in another and panko in the third shallow bowl.  Heat the butter and oil.  Drain the oysters.  Dip in flour, egg and panko until done.  Add to the pan and cook until golden brown on one side, turn and cook on the other.

In progress

They don't take very long to cook, total 8-10 minutes or so.  If you like a little spice add the sriracha chili sauce.  You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment