Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sweet and Spicy Caribbean Stew


I'm a bit hesitant when I post some of these recipes.  It feels like I'm giving away all my "trade secrets", some of which will go into my long awaited book.  But, sharing is good and so is this original.

My inspiration comes from an area I've never travelled to but, may soon.  It is on my "bucket list"!  How many people have ever dreamed about sailing around the  turquoise bathtub-like waters of the Caribbean?  Hard to resist!  The food intrigues me to the point that I think I should pack up and move there.  Fresh fish, exotic fruits and veggies with amazing spices permeating the dishes. 

Until then, I made this spice infused stew.  It was amazingly and surprisingly great! 

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb. chuck roast, cut up, dredged in flour and browned in a bit of oil.  Then set aside.

In the same large pot, add more oil ( 1 Tbsp) and the following:

1/2 -1 onion, chopped

3 celery stalks, chopped

4 cloves of garlic, minced

Saute until soft.  Then add the following:

4 cups beef broth

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp Jamaican seasoned pepper (I used a brand called "Jamaica Me Crazy")

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ground cloves

Cover and bring to a  slow boil, cooking for 5 minutes.    Now, add the meat back into the pot along with the following:

1 potato, peeled and cut up

2 carrots. peeled and cut into chunks or sliced

1 yam,  peeled and cut up (Next time I may delete the potato and increase the yam to 2)

1 handful of chopped parsley

Turn the heat down to simmer, cover and cook slowly for at least an hour.  More is better. If you're cooking it longer, you may need to add a cup or more of water.  If you want the broth to be thicker, add a mix of cornstarch or flour and water to the pot about 10 minutes before serving.

Don't let all the ingredients and steps discourage you.  Cut everything ahead of time and have it ready to go into the pot.  It was well worth the effort!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment