Monday, February 6, 2012

Back to Italy - Polenta al Gorgonzola


Back to Italy, I wish!  I always have that feeling that I have "unfinished" business (pleasure) there.  So to appease my appetite for all things Italian, I go to my kitchen to recreate the feeling and tastes of being there.

I found this recipe, polenta al Gorgonzola, on a website called 
Italian  Connection.  Polenta has never been a favorite in this home but it deserved a second chance.  I halved the recipe (revisions are below) to be suitable for two people.  If you can make couscous, you can make this.  It just requires a bit of stirring.  The recipe suggests a shaving of truffles from the Piedmont region of Italy.  I knew that could be a problem since I don't have a truffle dog in Piedmont!  Would a cat from Reno do!  Anyway, I sauteed some earthy mushrooms in a little olive oil, butter, garlic and parsley to crown this polenta.  Delicious and super easy!

Ingredients:

6 oz. yellow cornmeal (polenta)

24 oz. salted water

3 1/2 oz. Gorgonzola pieces (roughly under 1/2 cup) *  Note:  I would use more Gorgonzola next time. Maybe 3/4 - 1 cup.

I also recommend the mushroom topping.

Bring the water to simmer and slowly add the cornmeal, stirring the whole time.  Cook and stir for about 30 minutes.  Mixture will be quite thick.  Butter an ovenproof baking dish.  I used a glass pie plate because I inverted it after cooling.  Pour half the cornmeal into the dish, layer most of the Gorgonzola, then add the remainder of the cornmeal.    Bake in a preheated 400 degrees oven for 15-20 minutes.  Let it slightly cool to cut or invert,  top with mushrooms, if using, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment