Friday, January 7, 2011

A Special Birthday to a Special Lady



Happy Birthday, Grandma. Even though its been about 30 years since she left this earth, her influence and memories remain strong. I spent many moments with her and developed quite a bond. As much as I'd like to write more about her, I don't want to divulge too much. She is a main character in my book. Yes, the book is coming along!




But, I didn't want the day to pass without honoring her memory and wishing her a happy birthday! My grandmother had a "severe" sweet tooth and taught me everything she knew! I was a good student! She loved her piece of pie but I didn't want to bake a pie. I'm not that great at baking. So, in her honor I made the simplest cookies ever. To make it special for her I used orange marmalade. It seemed as if she always had marmalade to go on her toast. Very French!




This recipe is almost embarrassing it's so easy. Set the oven to 400 degrees. Use 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry. After defrosting it, roll the edges into a tight jellyroll. Cut into 1/4 inch pieces. Dip one end in sugar and place on a cookie sheet. Make a small indent with a spoon and spoon your favorite jam into the center. Sprinkle with more sugar and bake for 20 minutes or so. Sweet, simple and lovely just like my grandma!


5 comments:

  1. Here is another one I have to try. I was just going to buy puff pastry. Working on Empanadas, puff vs. regular pastry. Now I can do cookies, too.

    Here is a question only you maybe able to answer. Ramona's bakery, famous cake with the fruit layers...did you ever have one in Pedro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that the bakery on Pacific near the Strand theater? I went there but not sure if I had a cake like that. Probably had an eclair or two. Pollyanna's bakery was closer, the one by Averill park. Wow, you jogged my memory! Are you planning to make that famous cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a quick and tasty idea. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember exactly where Ramonas was/is. The cake was a fav for weddings, too. As I remember it was 4 layers with a filling of banana custard between one layer, strawberry custard in another and raspberry in the last. All big fresh fruit. Topped with a whipped cream frosting. It was great!
    Pollyannas? Don't remember that. I do remember fishing for crawdads at Averill. But we lived closer to Point Fermin Park. Memories......

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOw that you describe that cake, yes, of course I had that. It was the best. Are you going to try and make it? I probably saw you at Averill fishing. How funny is that?!

    ReplyDelete