Friday, May 23, 2014

Sugarless Oatmeal Bars



Breakfast "on the run" used to be a given for me years ago.  Yes, I punched a time clock for most of the jobs I had..sad, but true!  Thinking back, the only job I had where I didn't, was at a government agency.  Here, at 3 minutes before "closing time" we all gathered around the back door to the parking lot, like we were caged animals and couldn't leave one second before the clock hit 5:00 pm.    Now, employees have freedoms I could only dream about...childcare in house, gyms, restaurants, flexible hours, and the list goes on!  Don't get me started!

Anyway, most mornings I would make a mad dash to the car, sometimes with a piece of toast or a hastily prepared chalky tasting protein shake in hand.  These oatmeal bars would have been a welcome change to my routine.  They are ridiculously easy to make, too!  

Makes 16-20 bars

Sugarless Oatmeal Bars

3 very ripe mashed bananas

1/3 cup apple sauce, unsweetened

2 cups regular oats

1/4 cup almond milk, unsweetened

1/2 cup raisins

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix ALL the ingredients in a bowl and pour into a 8x8 glass pan which has been greased or sprayed with pan spray.  Spread evenly.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.  Cool thoroughly and cut into squares.  Delicious and nice to know you're eating something relatively healthy.

Next time, I may add pecans and/or mini chocolate chips.  Less healthy, more decadent!

No comments:

Post a Comment