Saturday, September 28, 2013

Simple Shrimp Scampi



You know the old saying, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade"?  This past week I made shrimp scampi with life's lemons!  It all started as I found a great tutorial that would teach me how to make better use of my camera.  Not the point and shoot kind, but the more involved digital that requires a degree in technology.  Every time I use it I want to learn more about it....thus the tutorial.  Unfortunately, and stupidly of me, I neglected to remove the batteries from it after it had sat for well over 2 years!  Major corrosion = exploding batteries!  Lesson number 1 learned the hard way!

Lesson number 2 was more devious and subtle.  Someone had decided to compromise my bank account.  So, upon checking my online balance I noticed amounts being siphoned off.  I flew down to the local bank and made them aware of the problem.  Their nonchalant remark was, "oh, that's been happening a lot with people cloning your account after you've swiped your debit card (usually at a gas station).  So, after most of the day on the phone and a throbbing headache, lesson number 2 was learned.  No more SWIPES for me, especially at a gas station.  I don't use ATM's, but apparently that's equally risky.  

Those are my lessons for the week...learn from them, please!  Then you can make something good to eat with those lemons!

Simple Shrimp Scampi

8-10 shrimp, medium size, cleaned,  peeled and deveined

2 cloves of garlic, minced

2 Tbsp butter

1 handful of chopped parsley

1 Tbsp of lemon zest

1 Tbsp of lemon juice

a splash of white wine, and perhaps a glass to consume by the cook!

Melt the butter in a skillet.  When it barely begins to froth,  add the shrimp in a single layer.  Add the garlic and lemon zest.  Cook on first side for only 2-3 minutes on medium heat.  Turn the shrimp, reduce the heat to simmer and add the lemon juice, splash of wine and parsley.  Continue to cook until done, maybe another 2-3 minutes.   Serve with rice or pasta...delicious and super simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment