Thursday, September 19, 2013

Asian Cucumber Salad



I confess, I've never been a fan of cucumbers.  I tolerate them in salads, usually, but after buying some at the farmer's market a few weeks ago (because they were gorgeous) I proceeded to put them in whatever I could.   I even added them to tuna sandwiches for extra crunch and freshness!  Pretty good!  

Not to change the subject, but, I don't drink as much water as I should.  To compensate for this I've been trying to eat more foods with a high water content in them, such as melons and cucumbers.   Enter the Asian Cucumber Salad recipe.  If you've ever eaten in a Thai restaurant this is always on the menu or placed as a side dish for certain entrees.  I love all the ways it hits my taste buds, fresh, crunchy, spicy, tangy and sweet all rolled into one dish!  Try this, it may make you a fan of cucumbers.

Asian Cucumber Salad

2 cucumbers, washed and peeled, then thinly sliced (use side of a box grater)

2 green onions, chopped

1/3 cup rice vinegar (I used roasted garlic flavor, that's what I had)

1/8 tsp sugar

1/4 tsp red chili paste

salt & pepper

1 handful of chopped cilantro

In a small bowl mix the vinegar, sugar, chili paste and salt and pepper.  Whisk.   Add the cucumbers, green onions and cilantro and stir.  Refrigerate for at least an hour to blend the flavors.  Serve with your favorite soba noodles  or by itself!


No comments:

Post a Comment