Saturday, October 5, 2013

Italian Turkey Meatballs with a Twist


Several years ago when I was raising my son, we declared almost every Monday as "Monday Night Meatballs night".  I guess for my son it became monotonous and I'm sure he cringes to this day thinking about those meatballs.  Hubby always liked them though, even if they weren't an exact replica of his mom's.  Somehow, I never got the memo on adding garlic to the recipe all those "practice" years.  Now when I make them, they are my version inspired by hubby's mom!

The last time I prepared meatballs I chose to do a turkey meatball, Italian style,  At the very end I remembered some Swedish meatballs my mother made decades ago. I loved those!  So  I sprinkled a bit of fresh ground nutmeg and allspice in before forming the meatballs.  Just the right amount to make things interesting.  This recipe makes about 24 or so small meatballs the size of a small golf ball.

Ingredients:

1 pkg of ground turkey meat (usually about 1 lb.)

2 small French rolls (the size of small apples, wet with water, then squeezed and crumbled)

1 egg

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1/4 cup Romano cheese, grated

1 clove of garlic, minced

1/2 cup of chopped caramelized onion 

2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley

1 tsp nutmeg, optional

1/2 tsp allspice, optional

Caramelize the sliced onions first in a bit of olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter, slowly.  Cool and chop.

In a mixing bowl put turkey, crumbled bread, onions, egg, cheeses, parsley, nutmeg and allspice.  I guess I could have said throw ALL ingredients into a bowl, mix well and form into balls.  Place them into a non stick skillet.  You can also add a bit (1 Tbsp) of olive oil, brown on one side.  Turn with a spoon or tongs, whichever is easier for you.  Cook on medium until completely browned.  Test one, of course!  These are great alone, in your favorite marinara or in sandwiches.  Mangia!

NOTE: You can use only Parmesan, just add a bit of salt.  The Romano is already salty (to my taste) so none was added.

No comments:

Post a Comment