Friday, August 30, 2013

Forever Figs


On one of our trips to Riviera Maya, the first course of the day ALWAYS started with a bowl of fresh figs, and smoked salmon with cream cheese!  No, I'm not pregnant!  Those were the cravings that took hold of me and, of course, it wasn't something I would readily fix in my kitchen!  Or would I?

On a recent stop at Trader Joe's last week, a container of figs practically jumped into my cart!  Instead of cutting them up and plopping them into my mouth, I decided to make another compote for my oatmeal or frozen yogurt!  This would also be great spread onto crostini for an elegant appetizer.

Decadent Fig Compote

2 cups figs, cut up

1/2 cup amaretto

3 Tbsp butter (or use 2 Tbsp to cut down on fat)

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/8 tsp of cinnamon

1/4 tsp of each cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg

Bring all to a boil in a small saucepan.  Reduce the heat to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.  Let it cool a bit to serve or refrigerate for later use.  Delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment