Thursday, August 22, 2013

Strawberry Lavender Sorbet


How do you spell relaxation?  S T R A W B E R R Y   L A V E N D E R   S O R B E T !!!  There's  something  intoxicating about brushing up against a lavender bush which releases its sensual fragrance and whisks you away  to a calmer place.  I remember on a trip to a lavender farm in the Northwest years back when as soon as  the car door opened, the sweet smell of relaxation (lavender) permeated my nostrils.  I just wanted to lay down in the field and stay until they closed or found me the next morning!

Needless to say, I wanted to go to several of my "happy places" (and I have many) recently.   But, when it's not possible, I go to my kitchen and create a smile in an ice cream dish!   This concoction definitely made the grade.   I used fresh strawberries that I cleaned and froze on a cookie sheet in the freezer, then put into freezer bags for later use.  Or you can purchase store bought frozen bags of berries.

I should note that I don't have an ice cream maker.  Why, you ask?  Probably because that is my favorite food and it would make it waaaaaay to easy to whip some up anytime I got the cravings for ice cream which I practically NEVER refuse!

Strawberry Lavender Sorbet

2 cups frozen strawberries

1 cup sugar

2 Tbsp culinary lavender

1 cup water

First, make the lavender simple syrup by bringing the water, sugar and lavender to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for one minute.  Remove from the heat and cool.  Strain through a fine mesh colander, (to remove the lavender buds).  At this point place the strained simple syrup into an empty ice cube tray and freeze.  When frozen, start the next step.

In a blender toss in the strawberries, simple syrup and a small amount of water, and pulse/blend until smooth.  You may need a bit more water to give it a smooth texture.  Serve immediately or put into a freezer container and freeze for later.  Soooo refreshing!

No comments:

Post a Comment