Friday, March 15, 2013

Simple Soba Noodles



I'm a sucker for any kind of Asian noodle, chow mein, lo mein, soba, pad Thai and chow fun for starters.  I admit that I've attempted to make some of these in the past, but, years  ago special ingredients weren't readily found at the store.  You usually had to go to an Asian market to seek them out.  Now there's no excuse for not being able to create these noodle dishes.

I used frozen cooked shrimp for this which made it immensely convenient instead of having to clean them myself.  They're great to have in the freezer to add to salads and pastas, too.  Fresh is always best, however, if you're pressed for time, use the frozen.  I also used packaged soba noodles called chuka soba which means Chinese noodle (I hope).  No hand pulling noodles for me.  



I like my noodles spicy hot, but not the five alarm #5 on the noodle scale.  I used sriracha sauce to add some heat.  Depending on your preference, you may want to add some to your individual plate if making for your children.  You've been warned!

Ingredients:

package of soba noodles

1 Tbsp oil

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup cooked shrimp, defrosted, cut into pieces

1/2 cup green onions, chopped

1/4 cup carrots, julienne

2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped

2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce

1 Tbsp sriracha hot sauce

1/2 cup water

Cook the noodles according to package in boiling water.  They only take 3 minutes.  Drain and rinse well and set aside.

In a large skillet (or wok -type pan)  heat the oil on medium high.  Add the eggs and immediately start to stir around like you're scrambling eggs, only quicker.  When done, remove from the pan, lower the heat to medium.  To the skillet, add the shrimp, carrots, onions, cilantro, mint, Hoisin, and sriracha sauce.  Stir until well blended.  Add the noodles, mix and add the water to give it a looser sauce.  Add the eggs at the end and serve.

Believe it or not it will take less than 10 minutes.  All the chopping (prep work) takes the longest.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment