Monday, November 12, 2012

Time Tested Pumpkin Bread


Sometimes I think I was a pioneer woman  in a past life, who created meals from nothing and stretched a can of pumpkin to its limits.  Of course, pumpkin was probably not in a can yet!   Did you know that from a small can of pumpkin puree you could makes pumpkin biscotti, pumpkin bread and a batch of pumpkin gnocchi?  This is how I spent the last few days.

pumpkin biscotti


Also, during my weekend baking blitz I finished making a large batch of limoncello for the holidays.  Hope it lasts until then!  Next, came two batches of "cold cure" chicken soup for the hubby.    
After that, I blanched an overabundance of brussel sprouts to freeze for later use.  Buying in bulk is not smart for empty nesters!

batch #1

batch #2 without kale


brussel sprouts for an army!


I also prepared a pot of pinto beans for salad toppers and nibbling, plus some quinoa to eat as a snack.  No, I haven't gone mad, just on another eating plan which is mostly beans, grains, fruits and vegetables.  I'll keep you posted on the process and outcome.

For now, try this pumpkin bread recipe.  I've made this for years and at times given loaves away as Christmas gifts.  This loaf will not last much longer as you can see masculine hands scooping it up before I had a chance to photograph it.



Pumpkin Bread

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 cup fresh cooked or canned pumpkin puree

1/2 cup vegetable oil

2 eggs

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp each of salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon

1/4 tsp ginger

1 cup raisins

1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)

1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugars, pumpkin, oil and eggs.   Beat until well blended.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.  Add to the sugar mixture and stir.  Stir in the raisins, nuts and water.  Prepare a 9x5x3 loaf pan by spraying with  pan spray or rubbing with oil.  Bake for about 65-70 minutes or until done and golden brown.  Cool and slice.  These freeze well, especially if you use the smaller tin loaf pans.  Just remember to reduce the cooking time if you use those!

No comments:

Post a Comment