Monday, November 26, 2012

Pinto Bean Hummus


During the last couple of weeks I've made a commitment to eat other sources of protein instead of meat.  That means...beans, beans and more beans!  Fortunately I have an arsenal of recipes that I've drawn from over the years and a few I've made up along the way.

I made a large batch of pinto beans one day, ate some plain, sprinkled  a few on salads, yet found myself  still yearning for more spice and zing.  After a bit of experimentation I slathered this pinto bean hummus onto a toasted bagel thin, topped it with a layer of spinach arugula combo and melted reduced fat mozzarella.  I know it sounds a bit strange, but don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Pinto beans are a complete source of protein and loaded with fiber.  Their origin dates back to the ancient Andes people.  The way I look at this is that if the beans have been around that long, my body knows how to digest them, right?  Re-fried pinto beans defeat the purpose and don't qualify as "healthy".

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups pinto beans, precooked or canned

1 tsp sriracha hot sauce

2 Tbsp non-fat plain yogurt

1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

dash of garlic powder

2 Tbsp chopped onions

salt, if needed

Mix all the ingredients in a food processor pulsing until well blended.  Use on sandwiches or as a dip for chips or veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment