Friday, November 30, 2012

Roasted Veggie Sandwich





Whenever I roast vegetables I always make more than needed so I'll have leftovers.  Odd? Maybe...but for me, it's an easy lunch to heat and eat.  Sometimes I'll scramble an egg with them, stuff a tortilla as a wrap or make an open faced sandwich.

The vegetables I roasted the day before were not cooked in oil but in broth for added flavor.  Cook on high heat in the oven (400 degrees) for about 25 minutes.  Every once in a while stir and sprinkle with some broth.  You can add any herb or spice you like.  Of course, mine is herbs de Provence, sometimes paprika and garlic powder, or thyme and rosemary.

The dollop on top of this "creation" is non-fat yogurt cheese.  All you do is put about 1 1/2 cups of  plain yogurt into a colander or straining device that has either cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter with a bowl to catch the liquid underneath.  Put the whole thing in the refrigerator (covered) for a day or overnight.  All the liquid will pass through and you'll be left with yogurt cheese you can make dips with, etc.  It tastes a bit like sour cream.  Not bad!

Ingredients:

(serves 1)

1 piece of good whole grain bread

1-2 Tbsp of hummus (I used roasted red pepper)

enough roasted veggies to cover the bread (I used potato, fennel, carrot and onion)

a handful of spinach/arugula mix

a drizzle of fat free vinaigrette

dollop of yogurt cheese

Heat the veggies, spread hummus on the bread followed by the rest of the ingredients.  Nice presentation..even nicer to eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment