Thursday, July 12, 2012

Portabella Mushroom Quesadillas


We must be entering the "dog days of Summer".  Our temperatures have been hovering in the high 90's to over 100 degrees lately.  Perhaps another ice cream dinner is in the near future!  Or a trip to the foggy, misty coast would suit me fine right about now.  My garden, except for the tomatoes are in "shock (survival mode)" and my cat continues to seek out the best cool hiding place in the house.  It took me awhile, but I found her in my hubby's walk in closet sitting very princess- like in a dark corner.  Smart kitty; I almost joined her!

I admit I get a little lethargic (lazy) in the heat so dinners haven't been too creative.  But, simple is good and this portabella quesadilla hit the spot!

Mushroom Quesadilla

Serves 2 hungry lazy adults

2 Portabella mushrooms (4 inch diameter), sliced

1/4 of a large yellow onion, sliced thinly

2 tbsp butter

1 Tbsp olive oil

4 flour tortillas, soft taco size

about 4 oz, jack cheese, grated

guacamole or salsa for garnish

Saute the mushrooms and onions in the butter/olive oil mixture until browned and limp.   You can remove these to a plate and use the same pan if you're lazy.  Add 1 Tbsp more butter, 1 flour tortilla, 1/4 of the grated cheese, half of the mushroom mixture, another 1/4 of the cheese on top.  Close with another tortilla, press down and cook until browned on one side.  Carefully flip over and cook on the other side.  Repeat the process for the second quesadilla and serve with guacamole and hot sauce or salsa.  Ole!

NOTE: If you're watching those calories, you can skip the pan frying and assemble the quesadilla, placing it into the microwave for about a minute or so to melt the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment