Monday, July 23, 2012

Mix it up with Muesli


For a quick and easy breakfast, why not make your own muesli?  I love oatmeal but sometimes crave more crunch!  If you create your own "signature" muesli mix, you can control the amount of fat and sugar, instead of falling prey to the store bought brands with unknown amounts of whatever!

For my muesli, I picked most of my favorites, from pecans, cinnamon, honey and blueberry craisins.  For a healthier version you can substitute fresh berries or a different dried fruit.    There is no rule or recipe here.  You can even make a large batch and have it in your pantry, ready to use.

My Muesli

1 serving

1/2 cup rolled or quick oats

1/4 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup blueberry flavored craisins (or fresh)

1 Tbsp honey

dash of cinnamon

1 tsp flax meal (optional, but healthy)

1 tsp protein powder (optional, but healthy)

drizzle of skim milk or half & half

Place all into a bowl and microwave for about 40-45 seconds.  Stir and enjoy!  You can add additional milk for a more creamy consistency.  I've found this is a very satisfying and filling breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment