Sunday, March 4, 2012

Panko Crusted Baked Cod


You, too, can cook like a chef and achieve a beautiful, healthful meal at home.  Lately, I've been watching, "Chopped" on TV.  It's the show that gives a chef four completely weird and random ingredients in which to work their magic.  They're judged on taste, appearance and creativity.  And they must come up with an appetizer, main course and dessert, provided they aren't "chopped" along the way!   It's interesting to see what they come up with in 20-30 minutes.  Of course, I'm the "armchair chef" always thinking  how I would transform those same ingredients.  I know, that's weird, but that's the way I am!  Getting to the dessert round would be easy; I'm sure I'd choke trying to create a dessert!  Not enough practice!

Getting back to the cod.  I made this complete dinner somewhere within the time frame, without getting chopped!   Ingredients were cod, mango, kale and couscous.  I ran out of time as I was preparing to make a mango sauce for the fish.  Oh well...next time!  Believe me, though, the cod was simple, crunchy and moist at the same time!  Good stuff!

Ingredients:

2  pieces of cod, cleaned,  de-boned and pat dry

1/3 cup panko bread crumbs on a small plate

a drizzle of olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

a sprinkling of garlic powder

a pat of butter on top of each cod piece
 (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  In a baking dish add a drizzle of oil.  Season the fish.  Brush the fish with oil on both sides.   Dredge and coat the fish in the panko crumbs.  Lay them in the dish and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until done.  If you want a crunchier finish, top with a pat of butter and broil for a minute or two.  Serve with couscous, sauteed kale/spinach mix and sliced mango.  Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment